Top 10 Famous Olympians. Biography
1. Usain Bolt (1986 – ) Jamaica, athletics Usain Bolt smashed the world record for 100m and 200m. Bolt won triple Olympic gold at both the 2008 and 2012 Olympics.
2. Carl Lewis (1961 – ) US, athletics Nine time Olympic gold medallist , Carl Lewis won gold over four Olympics and was the great star of 1980s track and field.
3. Emil Zatopek (1922 – ) (Czechoslovakia, athletics) Won four Olympic gold medals – including an unprecedented three at the 1952 Olympics – 10,000m, 5,000m and marathon.
4. Jesse Owens (1913-1980) Jesse Owens won four gold medals at the 1936 Berlin Olympics helping to break Hitler’s pride. Despite suffering discrimination in his own country, he remained a great ambassador for the sport.
5. Nadia Comaneci (1961 – ) (Romania, gymnastics) Winner of three Olympic gold medals at the 1976 Olympics and the first gymnast to gain a perfect score of 6.0
6. Michael Phelps (1985 – ) (US, Swimming) Most decorated Olympian of all time. Won 18 Olympic gold medals, and 22 medals in total.
7. Muhammad Ali (1942 – ) US, boxing Olympic champion in 1960.
Famous Olympic Swimmers
Michael Phelps (1985 – ) (US, Swimming) Most decorated Olympian of all time. Won 18 Olympic gold medals, and 22 medals in total.
Mark Spitz (1950 – ) (US, swimming) Won seven gold medals at the 1972 Olympic games. Also set new world records at seven different distances in the same year.
Famous Olympic other sports
Serena Williams (1981 – ) (US, tennis) 19 single grand slam titles, 15 double titles. Also has won four Olympic gold medals.
Dhyan Chand (1905 – 1979) (India, hockey) Chand is considered the greatest field hockey player of all time. He won three Olympic gold medals with India ’28, ’32 and ’36
Sir Steve Redgrave (1962 – ) (Great Britain, rowing) Won five consecutive Olympic gold medals in rowing (Coxless pair, Coxed pair and Coxed Four). Also won nine world championships.
Lin Dan (1983 – ) (China, badminton) Dan is one of the greatest stars of badminton. Double Olympic Champion and Five times World Champion, he became the first player to win the Grand Slam of all major 9 championships.
Clara Hughes (1972 – Canada, cycling, speed skating) Won 2 Olympic medals at 1996 summer games (cycling) Won Olympic gold at 5,000m speed skating (2006 Winter Olympics).
Karch Kiraly (1960 – ) (US, volleyball) Triple Olympic gold medallist. Only player to win gold in both beach volleyball and indoor volleyball.
Bradley Wiggins (1980 – ) Olympic track cyclist who 6 gold medals on the track, before making rare transition to win Tour de France. Also Olympic and World time trial champion.
Chris Hoy (1976 – ) (Great Britain, cycling) Six times Olympic gold medallist over three Olympics, including 1km time trial, Sprint, Team Sprint and Kierin.
Mia Hamm (1972 – ) (US, football) Played 275 games for US women’s soccer team, winning two world cups and two Olympic games. Scored 153 international goals and played role in raising profile of women’s football.